Friday, November 26, 2010

September 02 2002




These Swallows are certainly giving me the run-around. One minute I see them, next minute I don't. My last report about the swallows massing over Clondalkin still stands. I do believe that what I saw was the beginning of their exodus from this country. However, the process obviously goes on for much longer than I thought. There are still quite a number of swallows at the Hazeler but they are acting very strangely indeed. Yesterday evening large numbers of them were flying around in a very agitated fashion and then they all landed on the roof of the house across the road. After a few minutes they all took off again and flew around for another few minutes and then all landed again. This was repeated over and over again until I lost count. Eventually of course it got dark and all activity ceased. Down at Lough Ennel we took a rowing boat again and paid a visit to the reed bed which on our last visit was black with swallows. We saw but a handful but later we saw quite a number, again all flying as a flock and high up. I suspect however that a lot have left the reed beds and those that are still there are straglers preparing to go. Yesterday was a nice day and I must say that on a nice day Lough Ennel is really lovely. The surrounding landscape is made up of low rolling hills all the way round no matter in which direction you look. From Lilliput you can see the towers of the Cathedral in Mullingar. Lots of people were out fishing or simply enjoying being on the water, though I must say that jet skiers should be given somewhere else to practice their art. I think they pose a danger to others engaged in less noisy and less powerful activities. There are plenty of lakes in the midlands and one of them could be designated as THE jet skie lake where people wouldn't go to swim, fish and row, but to jet skie. Right. That's that bit said. Westmeath Co Coucil, please take note.

No comments: